I was at the gym today, listening to my nerdy pod casts. And trying to "plank" longer than Austin can... which will probably never happen but it's always worth a shot. And I was approached by a man for probably the third day in a row. I took my ear phones off and greeted him.
"Hi, my name is Jim." ...so, I introduced myself.
(mind you all the while I am thinking to myself, how I only have ten more minutes until my time is up in the day care, and I have a lot more things to get through.)
"I come here probably 3 times a week" he said , "and well my wife just died. Cancer. Probably the worst thing I have ever experienced."
... what do you say to that? I nearly cried. how selfish of me to not take the time to talk to this kind man the past few times at the gym, and to think for some reason my headphones were more important than taking the time to say hi.
Thanks Jim, for saying hi and for reminding me of how little I really know about anything.
1 comment:
Sweet and sad story, especially at Christmas. Sooo glad you were there. You spent just the right amount of time to show him the kindness he needed.
Post a Comment